This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1113544



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Reading

District Type: Unitary Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Dec-1978

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 39091

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


NEW LANE HILL 1. 5128 Tilehurst Horncastle Almshouses Nos 1 to 6 (consec)

SU 67 SE 16/297 II

2. 1852. Tudor style 1 1/2 storeys red brick with grey brick diapers and stone dressings. Old tile roof. 6 ridge chimneys with paired shafts and alternately spiral and diapered raised patterning. 6 gabled dormers with 3 light mullion casement windows (leaded panes). Six 4-light similar casement windows on ground floor. Slight central break with pediment, grey brick headers with red brick quoins, Tudor archway with beaded door and rubbed brick relieving arch. Throughpassage to individual rear access. Modernized and rear outshuts altered. Central stone tablet in front inscribed: "These Almshouses were erected and endowed by the late Mrs Elizabeth May and Miss Mary Lyne of Burghfield in this county for 6 poor women, 3 belonging to Tilehurst and 3 to Burghfield parishes. January 1st 1852". 4 foot high brick wall to street with stone capped gatepiers in centre.

Listing NGR: SU6780172254

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 67801 72254


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113544 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 05:57:10.

End of official listing