SCHOOL HOUSE AND ATTACHED LABORATORIES AT LEIGHTON PARK SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1113577

Date first listed: 14-Dec-1978

Statutory Address: SCHOOL HOUSE AND ATTACHED LABORATORIES AT LEIGHTON PARK SCHOOL, SHINFIELD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of SCHOOL HOUSE AND ATTACHED LABORATORIES AT LEIGHTON PARK SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113577 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2018 at 10:05:35.

Location

Statutory Address: SCHOOL HOUSE AND ATTACHED LABORATORIES AT LEIGHTON PARK SCHOOL, SHINFIELD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Reading (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SU 73274 71438

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHINFIELD ROAD 1. 5128 School House and attached Laboratories at Leighton Park School SU 77 SW 17/567 II 2. Formerly Pepper House 1830. Belonged to the Cobham family. Extended 1891 by Alfred Waterhouse for School. School House: 2 storeys and basement. Painted brick on plinth. Flanking corner piers. Stone architraves and bracket cills, Moulded string at 1st floor level. Cornice and blocking course. 6 windows on 1st floor with panels below. 2 on ground floor, left hand tripartite with bracket cornice, right hand an angled bay with pilasters and cornice. Cross glazed sash windows. Central circa 1840s large Tuscan porch. Recessed doorway with flanking niches. Shaped border in front for former fountain. South front 1:5:1 bays, outer bays break forward with corner piers and tripartite windows. Central half glazed door. Terrace in front with small ha-ha and retaining wall. School laboratories extension: Facing west a slight gabled break and a 3 bay deep break linked to further block to north by arch with passage. Tall 2 storey and basement. Grey brick with red brick quoins, dressings and lacing bands. Red brick plinth capping and stepped verge to gables. Segmental headed plate glass sash windows. Slate roof. Small extension to east with tile-hung lavatory oriel.

Listing NGR: SU7327471438

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 39165

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing