CHURCH OF SAINT LUKE AND ATTACHED SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1113622

Date first listed: 29-Nov-1989

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF SAINT LUKE AND ATTACHED SCHOOL, ERLEIGH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT LUKE AND ATTACHED SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113622 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 00:12:38.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF SAINT LUKE AND ATTACHED SCHOOL, ERLEIGH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Reading (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SU 72978 72842

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following buildings shall be added to the list:-

READING ERLEIGH ROAD SU 7272 (north side) 9/600 Church of St Luke and attached school GV II Church and attached school. 1882 by J P St Aubyn. Red brick in Flemish bond with white brick bands and stone dressings. Plain tile roof with strips of white tiles at angles. 5-bay nave with lean-to side aisles continuing across west end as porch and choir vestry; lower 2-bay chancel with 7-sided east end, gabled southern bell vestry (treated as transept) and south-east vestry with polygonal east end. School attached to north side of chancel. Offset plinth, buttresses with off- sets. Pointed-arched board doors with decorative iron hinges in roll-moulded surrounds. Lancet windows, paired to nave, with hoodmoulds to apse. Modillion eaves cornices. Decorative ridge tiles. Nave: west end has stepped tripled lancets; roll-moulded ashlar coping, east gable having gabled bellcote with cross finial. Chancel: bell vestry has 5 small lancets below stepped tripled lancets. South-east vestry has door, small paired lancets, and 5 more to canted east end above which rises ploygonal roof with cross finial. Eaves stack to main chancel roof. East side of apse has datestone below white brick cross, school: 2 storeys; 2 + 3 bays, on cant. Bay 1, linking school to church, has 3 lancets on each floor. Bay 2 is entrance bay, having door flanked by small lancets below 2 strings, and to upper floor paired lancets with oculus over and gable with bud finial. To right are 7 lancets, and on 1st floor 5 set in gables breaking eaves and arranged 1,1,3. Interior of church: pointed-arched arcades of red brick on stone columns; red brick surrounds to openings, otherwise brown brick throughout. 1914-18 war memorial in recess in nave west wall, behind font. Arch-braced roof trusses with 3 tiers of arched wind braces between 2 sets of purlins. In chancel: encaustic tile roof; sedilia; highly decorative stone reredos; altar rail on twisted and scroll-bracketed balusters; and good stained glass.

Listing NGR: SU7297872842

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 39280

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing