ORANGERY APPROXIMATELY 100 METRES NORTH EAST OF CHICKSANDS PRIORY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1113727
Date first listed:
11-Oct-1973
Statutory Address:
ORANGERY APPROXIMATELY 100 METRES NORTH EAST OF CHICKSANDS PRIORY

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113727.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Aug-2020 at 03:26:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
ORANGERY APPROXIMATELY 100 METRES NORTH EAST OF CHICKSANDS PRIORY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Central Bedfordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Campton and Chicksands
National Grid Reference:
TL 12179 39414

Details

TL 1218 3941 CHICKSANDS

7/22 Orangery approx 100 metres 11.10.73 NE of Chicksands Priory

GV II*

Orangery. Circa 1800 for Sir George Osborn. Probably by James Wyatt. Gothick style. Red brick structure with timber facade, hipped slate roof. Small rectangular building facing S. 5 bays, outer 4 having full-length sashes with glazing bars, central one, slightly wider, having French windows with glazing bars. Bays are divided by slender Gothic clustered half-columns. Entablature formerly had Latin inscription, now no longer visible. Entablature supports 6 crocketed pinnacles in line with columns.

Listing NGR: TL1217939414

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
37576
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 2 Bedfordshire,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Jun 2000
Reference: IOE01/00281/07
Rights: Copyright IoE John Webber. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].