This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

OBELISK APPROXIMATELY 500 METRES SOUTH WEST OF APPLEY CORNER

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: OBELISK APPROXIMATELY 500 METRES SOUTH WEST OF APPLEY CORNER

List entry Number: 1113731

Location

OBELISK APPROXIMATELY 500 METRES SOUTH WEST OF APPLEY CORNER

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Central Bedfordshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Campton and Chicksands

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 37582

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 1046 4068 CHICKSANDS CHICKSANDS WOOD

2/28 Obelisk approximately 500m SW of Appley Corner

- II

Obelisk. Erected late C18 or early C19 by George Osborn, 4th Baronet of Chicksands. Possibly designed by James Wyatt. Limestone. Stands about 3 metres high. Gothick style. Base consists of 3-stage square plinth, middle stage with rock-faced rustication. Above this are tall corner piers with pointed arched panel decoration, flanking panels with pointed heads and moulded frames. From this rises a small obelisk with simple incised decoration. C20 plaque on S elevation replaces original inscription to N face: "In memory of George Montague Dunk, Earl of Halifax, who in the reigns of George the 2nd and 3rd successively held most of the great Offices of State. When First Lord Commissioner of Trade and Plantations the colonies and commerce of this country by his councils and influence were strengthened, supported and extended. As Lord Lieutenant of the Land, First Lord of the Admiralty, Secretary of State, Lord Keeper of the Privy Seal, he discharged with distinguished abilities and integrity the important trusts of each. He was Knight of the most polite Order of the Garter, and on the 8th of June 1771 finished life thus spent in public service. Affection must subscribe the grateful testimony how eminently he possessed the private virtues of father, uncle, guardian, patron, friend."

Dunk was brother-in-law of Danvers Osborn, 3rd Baronet of Chicksands.

Listing NGR: TL1045340677

Selected Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 2 Bedfordshire,

National Grid Reference: TL 10453 40677

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113731 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 11:47:25.

End of official listing