PARISH CHURCH OF SAINT MARGARET

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1113758

Date first listed: 23-Jan-1961

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF SAINT MARGARET

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF SAINT MARGARET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113758 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 15:11:20.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF SAINT MARGARET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Central Bedfordshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Shillington

National Grid Reference: TL 10378 32784

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 1038 3278 HIGHAM GOBION 6/85 23.1.61 Parish Church of Saint Margaret

GV II*

Parish church. C14 and C15 details, but extensively reworked 1879-80 by Burton and Wood. Coursed ironstone and cobblestones, with ashlar dressings. Gabled clay tile roofs. Chancel, nave, narrow N aisle, W tower. Chancel: 2- stage buttresses to angles and to N and S walls. Pointed-arched E window of 3 trefoiled lights. NW window of 2 trefoiled lights, retaining some C14 tracery. SW window in same form but without tracery. C15 pointed-arched priest's door. Early C14 pointed chancel arch. Nave: 2-stage buttresses to NW and SW. Early C14 3-bay N arcade with pointed arches. 3 2-light pointed arched windows to S elevation, only W one trefoiled. Pointed arched S doorway. N aisle: more a narrow passageway, replacing original aisle. 3 windows, all paired pointed-arched lights. W tower: original tower arch remains, rest of tower rebuilt 1880. 2 stages, with angle buttresses and embattled parapets. Pointed-arched and trefoiled 2-light W window to lower stage. Upper stage has paired louvred windows to S and W elevations. Interior: cinquefoiled ogee-headed piscina and sedilia are C15 but reworked. Font, octagonal on heavy octagonal shaft, thought to be C17 or C18. Wall monument in chancel to Edmund Castell, Semitic scholar and professor of Arabic at Cambridge and rector of Higham Gobion from 1674 until his death in 1685. Last line of tablet is in Arabic, and is translated as "He elected to be buried in this spot in hopes of a better". Wall monument in nave to Thomas Halfpenny, d.1684. Brasses in chancel wall to Jane Cason, d.1603, and to Catherine Browne, d.1602 (both daughters of the Butler family, who held the manor) and their chidren. Roofs and pewing date from 1880.

Listing NGR: TL1037832784

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 37639

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing