SHEFFORD METHODIST CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1113761

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1985

Statutory Address: SHEFFORD METHODIST CHURCH, AMPTHILL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of SHEFFORD METHODIST CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113761 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 22:46:16.

Location

Statutory Address: SHEFFORD METHODIST CHURCH, AMPTHILL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Central Bedfordshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Shefford

National Grid Reference: TL 14091 38952

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 1438 SHEFFORD AMPTHILL ROAD 11/93

- Shefford Methodist Church

- II

Methodist church. Erected 1912 on site of Wesleyan chapel. (Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, 1914, p.168). Red brick with stone dressings. Slate roofs with terracotta ridge cresting. Rectangular building oriented N - S, with shallow transepts towards S end. Art Nouveau Gothic style, remarkably unaltered. N (road) gable: semi-octagonal porch to centre, from which rise 2 decorative buttresses. Small battered towers to corners. Stone banding and coping to gable and porch. Most windows have pointed-arched heads, with cinquefoiled ogee arch to each light. Central window is large, of 3 lights, flanking ones are long single lights. Corner towers have lancets. Small single lights to porch. Segmental-arched doorway contains 5-light fanlight above part-glazed double doors painted to imitate oak and retaining original strap hinges. Decorative stone tracery to apex of gable. Wrought ironwork decoration to roofs of corner towers. Other elevations: similar 2 and 3-light windows. Interior: apparently unaltered, the decorative features include moulded ceiling timbers, ogee-headed panelling to S end, fine Art Nouveau stained glass, and variety of brass fittings.

Listing NGR: TL1409138952

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 37647

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Kelly's Directory' in Bedfordshire, (1914)

End of official listing