CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST FRANCIS OF ASSISI

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1113767

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1985

Statutory Address: CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST FRANCIS OF ASSISI, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST FRANCIS OF ASSISI
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113767 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 14:57:33.

Location

Statutory Address: CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST FRANCIS OF ASSISI, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Central Bedfordshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Shefford

National Grid Reference: TL 14260 39011

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 1439 SHEFFORD HIGH STREET 8/111 (south side)

- Catholic Church of St Francis of Assisi

GV II*

Roman Catholic church. Designed by S J Nicholl of Kentish Town, erected at expense of Mrs Lyne-Stephens of Lynsford Hall, Thetford, Norfolk. Opened 1884. Red brick with ashlar dressings. Clay tile roofs. Church is oriented N-S, with alter to S end. Rectangular plan overall, consisting of nave and chancel, the latter with narrow aisles formed by 2-bay arcades within structure. In C14 style. Nave: N (road) gable has large pointed-arched 4- light window with cusped flowing and panel tracery. 3-light ogee window to apex. Stone coping to gable, with crucifix finial. To LH side is slightly projecting 3-stage bell-cote. To ground floor is pointed arched doorway, recessed within higher pointed archway with traceried spandrels. Central stage has canopied niche with figure of St Francis, flanked by single lights. Gabled top stage almost entirely in ashlar, has ogee headed niche with statue of Virgin and Child. Nave also has windows to W and E in similar style. Chancel: has windows to W and E, similar in style but with 4-centred arched heads. The pointed-arched arcades have rather slender columns. Interior: reredos, approx. 9 metres high, is in ornate High Gothic style, of carved stone including alabaster and marble, and has figures of saints within crocketed canopied niches. Arcades have foliate capitals. Nave has half- height cedarwood panelling with carved and painted Stations of the Cross inset at intervals. Carved stone pulpit to SE corner of nave in High Gothic style. High Gothic carved stone Lady Altar to SW corner of nave, the Virgin and Child partly gilded. Stained glass to Lady Altar window, and to windows in nave W and E. NE of nave is octagonal font with crocketed wood spire cover. Angular wagon roofs to nave and chancel, timberwork to nave plain and open, that to chancel infilled, with painted and gilded angels and bosses. Gallery to N end of nave.

Kelly's Directory of Beds, Hunts and Northants, 1885, pp 107-8).

Listing NGR: TL1426039011

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 37665

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Kelly's Directory' in Bedfordshire Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire, (1885), 107-108

End of official listing