ST THOMAS' CHAPEL APPROXIMATELY 20 METRES SOUTH OF CHAPEL FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1113845
Date first listed:
31-Oct-1966
Statutory Address:
ST THOMAS' CHAPEL APPROXIMATELY 20 METRES SOUTH OF CHAPEL FARMHOUSE, CHAPEL ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113845.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Aug-2020 at 12:41:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
ST THOMAS' CHAPEL APPROXIMATELY 20 METRES SOUTH OF CHAPEL FARMHOUSE, CHAPEL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Central Bedfordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Meppershall
National Grid Reference:
TL 14715 36215

Details

TL 13NW MEPPERSHALL CHAPEL ROAD 3/60

31.10.66 St Thomas' Chapel, approximately 20 metres S of Chapel Farmhouse

GV II*

Former chapel, now used as barn. Dedicated to Saint Thomas the Martyr, the chapel was attached to the Grange belonging to Chicksands Priory. Circa 1175, chancel rebuilt c.1500. Coursed ironstone rubble, coursed limestone rubble, ashlar dressings, with repairs in red brick. Clay tile roofs. All original openings blocked with red brick. Consists of aisleless nave and chancel, chancel roof slightly higher than nave. Nave: 3 bays. Through purlin roof with straight wind braces. W elevation wall mostly rebuilt in brick with-pointed-arched doorway, the gable rendered. N and S elevations each have one early C14 pointed-arched 2 light window to E bay, only the N one retaining some of its flowing tracery. C12 doorway at W end of N elevation has enriched round arch with billet and lozenge mouldings, and foliate capitals below which columns have been remover. Chancel: 2-bays. Original clasped purlin roof with curved wind braces. Central truss has moulded stone corbels, S one with grotesque head. E elevation has 3-centred arched window and rendered gable. N and S elevations each have 2-light window with flat head to E bay. N elevation has 4-centred doorway opposite single-light low-side window to S elevation.

Listing NGR: TL1471536215

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
37849
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].