MAUSOLEUM APPROXIMATELY 10 METRES NORTH WEST OF NORTH AISLE OF CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1113925

Date first listed: 23-Jan-1961

Statutory Address: MAUSOLEUM APPROXIMATELY 10 METRES NORTH WEST OF NORTH AISLE OF CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of MAUSOLEUM APPROXIMATELY 10 METRES NORTH WEST OF NORTH AISLE OF CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113925 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 19:21:27.

Location

Statutory Address: MAUSOLEUM APPROXIMATELY 10 METRES NORTH WEST OF NORTH AISLE OF CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Central Bedfordshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Maulden

National Grid Reference: TL 05827 38067

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MAULDEN

TL 0438 CHURCH ROAD

12/61 Mausoleum approx. 10 23.1.61 metres NW of N aisle of Church of St Mary the Virgin

GV II

Mausoleum, containing the Bruce family remains. 1859 rebuilding, probably by Benjamin Ferrey, of the 1656 structure erected by Thomas Bruce, 1st Earl of Elgin. Stands on vaulted crypt, thought to be of medieval origin. Coursed ironstone with ashlar dressings. Hipped clay tile roof with bands of fishscale tiles. Small single-storeyed structure of elongated octagonal plan. Diagonal buttresses to each angle. Moulded parapet has rather worn frieze. W and E elevations each have small circular quatrefoiled window. Pointed-arched doorway to S elevation, surmounted by carved stone crest. Interior: To N elevation is monument to Diana, Countess of Elgin, erected 1656, thought to be by Thomas Burman. Consists of rather architectural marble sarcophagus, with gadrooning to middle and to surmounting basin. Carved cartouche to front and surmounting half-figure of Lady Elgin, dressed in a shroud and pointing heavenwards, have been removed. Round-arched niches to W and E formerly contained marble busts (now also removed) of Thomas Bruce, 1st Earl of Elgin, d.1663 and toward Bruce his grandson, d.1663, botn attributed to John Bushnell. Crypt contains plain late C12 font. M.S.F. George "The Elgin Marbles of Maulden", Bedfordshire Magazine, vol II, pp 60-68.

Listing NGR: TL0582738067

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 38048

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Bedfordshire Magazine' in Bedfordshire Magazine, , Vol. 2, (), 60-68

End of official listing