CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1113934

Date first listed: 23-Jan-1961

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113934 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 23:04:27.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Central Bedfordshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Millbrook

National Grid Reference: TL 01362 38528

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MILLBROOK

TL 0038 Church of Saint Michael

4/81 23.1.61

- II*

Parish church. C13, C14 and C15, with later C19 reworkings by Butterfield, including much of window tracery. Coursed ironstone rubble with ashlar dressings. Clay tile roofs. Chancel, nave, N and S aisles, S porch, W tower. All parts except chancel have embattled parapets. Chancel: substantially reworked C19. 3-light pointed-arched E window. N elevation has C15 single light with square head. S elevation has similar C19 window and small 4- centred arched doorway. Nave: C13 origins. 3-bay arcades to both sides, S one C.1340, N one C15. To E of N arcade is small pointed-arched opening onto aisle. Clerestory has 3 windows per side, all C19, of 2-lights under flat heads. N aisle: C15. N elevation has 2 4-centred 3-light windows and blocked 4-centred-arched doorway. Square-headed 2-light E window. S aisle: c.1340. C15 square-headed 2-light E window. S elevation has reworked C15 3- light window, C15 doorway, C13 lancet window (probably reset from original nave) and C19 pointed-arched 3-light window. S porch: C19, gabled, with pointed archway. W tower: C15. 3 stages, with set-back buttresses. Bell- stage has 2-light pointed-arched window to each side. Small single-lights to middle stage. C19 3-light W window to ground stage. Interior: chancel N wall has carved wall tablet to William and Mary Huett, both d.1602, with strapwork, flowers, emblems of death, etc, originally polychromed. Damaged recumbant effigies below, rediscovered in churchyard 1919, probably represent Huett and wife. S aisle has white marble monument to Georgiana Anne Fox, d.1819 (aged 10) flanked by monuments to Lord and Lady Holland, d.1840 and 1845, all by Westmacott.

Listing NGR: TL0136238528

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 38068

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing