STAUNTON HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1113985

Date first listed: 16-Mar-1987

Statutory Address: STAUNTON HOUSE, 9-18, BEDFORD STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of STAUNTON HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113985 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 09:14:51.

Location

Statutory Address: STAUNTON HOUSE, 9-18, BEDFORD STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Central Bedfordshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Woburn

National Grid Reference: SP 94785 33409

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 9433-9533 WOBURN BELFORD STREET (West Side) 8/93 - Staunton House (Nos 9 to 18, consecutive ) GV II Almshouses, N part of the group formerly known as the Staunton Almshouses. Dated 1850 above doorway. Founded 1635 by Sir Francis Staunton of Birchmore in his will, and granted by Act of 1760 to John Duke of Bedford. These buildings erected by Francis 7th Duke of Bedford. Yellow brick with rendered dressings. Clay tile roofs. Rear blocks of red brick. Main part consists of long rectangular block bordering pavement. 2 storeys. Loosely Jacobean style. Symmetrical road elevation has 9 crowstepped gables in various sizes, outer ones largest. Ground floor has 6 2-light windows flanked by 2 3-light ones. First floor has 6 single lights flanked by 2 2-light windows. All are cast iron lattice casements set in mullioned openings, with square heads and moulded dripstones. Central and outer gables each have small oculus to apex with decorative grille. Central doorway contains 6-panel round-headed door. This is set in round-arched opening in a square surround. Large keystone rises to modillion cornice flanked by ornamental volutes. Volutes are surmounted by heavy moulded finials, and above cornice is moulded semi- circular panel containing date plaque. Substantial multiple ridge stacks with moulded caps. Linked to rear of brick garden walls is low rectangular outhouse block. Red brick with clay tile roofs, in simpler but similar style to main block. Symmetrical arrangement with central slightly taller gable. Now converted to 2 dwellings. Forms a pair with item 8/94.

Listing NGR: SP9478533409

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 38196

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing