WALL, GATEPIERS AND GATES BELONGING TO OLD CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1113989

Date first listed: 16-Mar-1987

Statutory Address: WALL, GATEPIERS AND GATES BELONGING TO OLD CHURCH OF ST MARY, BEDFORD STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of WALL, GATEPIERS AND GATES BELONGING TO OLD CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113989 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 10:07:52.

Location

Statutory Address: WALL, GATEPIERS AND GATES BELONGING TO OLD CHURCH OF ST MARY, BEDFORD STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Central Bedfordshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Woburn

National Grid Reference: SP 94894 33258

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 9433-9533 WOBURN BEDFORD STREET (West Side) 8/101 - Wall, gatepiers and gates belonging to Old Church of St Mary GV II Wall, gatepiers and gates. Circa 1830 by Edward Blore. Ironstone with clunch dressings. Adjoins Lower School to N, runs southwards bordering the pavement and adjoins the Old Parsonage at S end. Approximately 45 metres long. Gateway to LH. 4 piers form a central carriage entrance flanked by 2 pedestrian gateways. Clunch piers are approximately 2 metres high and square in section. They have moulded bases, recessed panels with cusped heads, moulded embattled cornices and pyramidal caps. Cast iron gates have ornamental finials above toprails and to dograils of lower sections. Churchyard wall is of coursed ironstone with ashlar coping, and stands about half a metre high. Apparently originally supported piers and railings similar in style to gateway. (cf: illustration in J D Parry History and Description of Woburn and its Abbey, 1831).

Listing NGR: SP9489433258

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 38204

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Parry, J D , History and Description of Woburn and its Abbey, (1831)

End of official listing