ATRIUM ANTIQUES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1114002
Date first listed:
22-Oct-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
16-Mar-1987
Statutory Address:
ATRIUM ANTIQUES, 19, MARKET PLACE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1114002.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Aug-2020 at 03:08:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
ATRIUM ANTIQUES, 19, MARKET PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Central Bedfordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Woburn
National Grid Reference:
SP 94892 33158

Details

SP 9433-9533 WOBURN MARKET PLACE (West side) 8/134 22.10.52 No.19 (Atrium Antiques), (formerly listed as No.12 High Street ) GV II* House, with shop to ground floor. Circa 1725, encasing an earlier timber framed structure, reworked 1820 for 6th Duke of Bedford by George Maddocks, who designed new shop windows for the draper then occupying the building. Red brick. Shallow pitched slate roof with deep eaves. 3 storeys, 2 rooms deep. Symmetrical front elevation. First and second floors each have 3 early C19 windows, central out of narrower proportions. 2nd floor central one is blind. All are sashes with glazing bars in plain reveals under gauged brick flat-arched heads. 2nd floor windows are of more squat proportions than first floor ones. Shop-front takes up whole of ground floor, and is bowed (elliptical in plan). Central part-glazed double doors surmounted by rectangular fanlight with ornamental radiating glazing bars. The broad flanking windows have glazing bars of same proportions as doors, and are surmounted by ornamental glazed frieze with motif's similar to fanlight. The frieze and fanlight designs are said to incorporate symbols of the drapery trade in the form of buttonhole and herringbone stitches. C18 brick string course visible at either side of shop-front. S (side) elevation retains 2 C18 flush sashes with glazing bars, one each to first and 2nd floors. These and the ground and first floor blind windows have gauged brick segmental heads. Ground floor has early C19 canted bay. Red brick integral stacks to N and S walls. Bedfordshire Magazine, vol.7, No.50, Autumn 1959, p.72.

Listing NGR: SP9489233158

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
38237
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Bedfordshire Magazine' in Bedfordshire Magazine, , Vol. 7, (1959), 72

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].