This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

MOAT FARMHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MOAT FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1114050

Location

MOAT FARMHOUSE, WOBURN ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Central Bedfordshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Marston Moretaine

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-Oct-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 38359

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MARSTON MORETAINE WOBURN ROAD SP 94 SE SP 9841 3/62 Moat Farmhouse 22.10.52 - II*

House, sited within a rectangular moat. Early C15, extended early C16, altered later C16, and restored 1880. Timber frame with red brick infill, much of the studding and brickwork dating from the C19. Clay tile roofs. Consisted originally of open hall of cruck construction with cross-passage to E end. Cross-wings added early C16 to both ends, that to SW being the 'solar' end. Hall ceiled over late C16. 2 storeys throughout. Front elevation: cross-wings are jettied at first floor level. Timber mullioned windows, 4 to ground floor, 5 to first floor, are all C19 and C20. Central block has C19 doorways to both ends, RH one in position of original cross-passage. LH doorway sheltered by C19 gabled timber and brick porch. LH gable has substantial external chimney stack to outer wall, of dressed clunch and surmounted by rebuilt red brick diagonal shafts. Central block has ridge stack, inserted late C16 but rebuilt C19 RH cross-wing has C19 chimney stack with diagonal shafts. Rear elevation: cross-wings project further than to front. Visible at LH end of hall is blocked pointed arched doorway. Interior: variety of moulded timbers dating from C15 and C16 centuries, including 3 reset doorheads with blind cusped tracery. Carved stone fireplaes to SW cross-wing probably date from C19 restoration. N.W. Alcock and P.J. Woodward, "Cruck-Frame Buildings in Bedfordshire", Beds Archaeological Journal, vol II, 1976, pp 51-58 and 60.



Listing NGR: SP9931041330

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Bedfordshire Archaeological Journal' in Bedfordshire Archaeological Journal, , Vol. 2, (1976), 51-58 60

National Grid Reference: SP 99310 41330

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1114050 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 09:38:16.

End of official listing