BAPTIST CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1114059

Date first listed: 19-Dec-1991

Statutory Address: BAPTIST CHAPEL, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of BAPTIST CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1114059 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 04:18:24.

Location

Statutory Address: BAPTIST CHAPEL, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Central Bedfordshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Ridgmont

National Grid Reference: SP 97373 35806

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following buildings shall be added to the list:-

SP 9735 RIDGEMONT HIGH STREET

13/10000 Baptist Chapel GV II

Baptist chapel. Dated 1811; a mid C19 remodelling of a Georgian chapel. Flemish bond red brick at rear, front and sides rendered. Slate roof with coped gable ends. Plan: Approximately square auditorium with gallery on 3 sides, rostrum on fourth (NW) side and entrance under gallery on opposite SE front. Italianate style remodelling. Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 3-bay front with large pedimental gable with acroteria and dentilled cornice with Vitruvian scroll frieze inscribed "BAPTIST -1811-CHAPEL". Band with crenellations. 2-light windows with margin panes and moulded architraves on bracketed cills, those on first floor with panelled heads, the ground floor with round arches, keyblocks and decorated tympana. Central porch with pedimental gable, vermiculated rustication, segmental arch with tall keyblock, rectangular overlight with margin panes and 6-panel double doors. Similarly treated left (SW) return with bands and 2 windows on each floor. Brick rear (NW) end with wide gable and 2 round- headed windows with stained glass. NE side is abutted by the school house and manse [No 17 (qv)]. Interior: Gallery on 3 sides supported on thin cast-iron columns and with fretted balusters applied to gallery front. Ventilation roundels in ceiling. Painted text over rostrum on NW wall. Rostrum has balustrade and arched panelled back. Moulded window architraves and stained glass in NW wall. Panelled screen to entrance under gallery. C19 benches and wall memorials. Note: Founded in 1701 (Kelly's 1914): "Protestant dissenting meeting house was made" before 1722 (Chapel Book in CRO x 347/6). Chapel, school house and manse [No 17 (qv)] depicted on Enclosure Award Map of 1797.



Listing NGR: SP9737335806

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 38377

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Kelly's Directory' in Bedfordshire, (1914)

End of official listing