Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1114107.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Aug-2020 at 04:03:09.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Central Bedfordshire (Unitary Authority)
Wrestlingworth and Cockayne Hatley
National Grid Reference:
TL 25616 49653


WRESTLINGWORTH & COCKAYNE HATLEY TL 2449 COCKAYNE HATLEY 6/122 Church of Saint John the 31.10.66 Baptist - I Parish church. C13, C14 and C15, restored 1823-30. Rubble walls, a mixture of cobbles and ironstone. Ashlar dressings. Chancel, nave, N and S aisles, W tower. Embattled parapets throughout. Chancel: rebuilt C14, shortened C19. C19 pointed-arched 3-light E window. N and S elevations each have a C15 2- light window with 4-centred head. S elevation has blocked pointed-arched doorway. Pointed chancel arch, reworked C19. Nave: 4-bay pointed-arched arcades to both sides, N one later C13 with round columns, S one C14 with octagona columns. C15 clerestory has 3 windows to each side, all of 2 lights and square-headed. N aisle: C13, reworked C15. 2-light- 4-centred arched E window. N elevation has 3 3-light square-headed windows with restored reticulated tracery. Pointed-arched doorway reset from C15 S porch (demolished C19), with carved spandrels under square head. S aisle: C14, reworked C19. E elevation has blocked 2-light window with 4-centred head. S elevation has 3 square-headed 3-light windows with C19 reticulated tracery. Blocked C14 pointed-arched doorway, partly below external ground level. W tower: C15. 4 stages, with octagonal stair turret to NE angle. Bell-stage has pairs of tall ogee-headed windows to each side. 3rd stage has small single lights to 2 sides. 2nd stage has 3-light pointed-arched window to W elevation. Below this to ground stage is 4-centred arched doorway. Parapet has C19 pinnacles to angles. Interior: roofs replaced early C19. Nave roof dated 1820 but has imported C15 angel figures to tie beams. C15 octagonal font, carving apparently C19. N aisle E window contains C14 glass, brought from Yorkshire, showing St Edward, St Oswald, St Dunstain and St Sebald. S aisle has polychrome marble wall monument to Sir Patrick Hume, 1627, showing kneeling figures of husband and wife facing each other across a prayer-desk. Nave has brasses to a knight c.1430, a lady c.1490, to Edward Cockayne and wife Elizabeth, 1525, and to William Cokyn, 1527 and 2 wives. Important collection of ornate Baroque woodwork, mainly Flemish, brought by Henry Cust, Lord of the Manor, in the 1820's. This includes communion rail and tower gallery rail from Malines, tower arch screen from Louvain, N aisle screen from St Baron at Ghent, and stalls and stall backs dated 1689 from Aulne Abbey near Charleroi.

Listing NGR: TL2561649653


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Oct 2004
Reference: IOE01/12718/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Black. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].