HOWARD'S HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1114147
Date first listed:
07-May-1952
Statutory Address:
HOWARD'S HOUSE, CHURCH LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1114147.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Aug-2020 at 04:17:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
HOWARD'S HOUSE, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bedford (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Cardington
National Grid Reference:
TL 08640 47985

Details

TL 0847 CARDINGTON CHURCH LANE

9/14 Howard's House 7.5.52

GV II*

House. C18, with C19 and C20 additions. Main block of colour washed rough cast over brick, later blocks of red brick with only front elevations roughcast rendered. Clay tile roof. Double-pile plan of 2 storeys and attics, roof hipped to front but double-gabled to rear. C19 2 storey and attics block to rear, C2U single-storey flat-roofed additions to side. Front: symmetrical facade. Central doorway has 6 panel door, top 2 pairs fielded, rectangular fanlight, moulded door surround, Roman Doric half pilasters, pulvinated frieze, and cornice. Flanked by 3-light casements. First floor has 2 similar casements flanking 2-light casement. 3 hipped dormers with 3- light casements. All windows have leaded lights. Central ridge stack of 4 diagonal flues, rebuilt C20 to slightly less than original height. C18 wrought iron railings and gate to front garden. Rear: irregular elevation with variety of sash windows. Doorway: Roman Doric half-columns and entablature, cut by C19 block to R; smaller Doric pilasters and round-headed arch within, containing semi-circular fanlight and part glazed double doors. Above doorway is round-headed sash window in moulded surround with keystone. Above this is balustraded parapet running between 2 gables. Red brick gable end stack to LH gable, again with 3 rebuilt diagonal flues. Interior: retains some original C18 features, including panelling, staircase and chimney pieces. Residence c1760-1790 of John Howard (1726-1790) philanthropist and prison reformer. (Bedfordshire Record Office, various documents, including W3309 and CRT 180/155).

Listing NGR: TL0864047985

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
36651
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].