KATHERINE'S CROSS AMPTHILL PARK

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1114419

Date first listed: 17-Jul-1951

Statutory Address: KATHERINE'S CROSS AMPTHILL PARK

Map

Ordnance survey map of KATHERINE'S CROSS AMPTHILL PARK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1114419 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 23:19:49.

Location

Statutory Address: KATHERINE'S CROSS AMPTHILL PARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Central Bedfordshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Ampthill

National Grid Reference: TL 02474 38397

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 774 Katherine's Cross Ampthill Park

TL 0238 5/3 17.7.51

II

2. Tall stone cross of Gothic design, erected by James Essex in 1773 for John, Second Earl of Upper Ossory, to mark the site of Ampthill Castle. The cross bears a shield of England impaling Aragon and an inscription by Horace Walpole, commemorating 'The mournful refuge of an injured queen'. See VCH, page 270.

Listing NGR: TL0257538351

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 37313

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Bedford, (1904), 270

End of official listing