This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

AVENUE HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: AVENUE HOUSE

List entry Number: 1114436

Location

AVENUE HOUSE, 20, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Central Bedfordshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Ampthill

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 17-Jul-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 37342

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 774 CHURCH STREET (North Side)

No 20 (Avenue House) TL 0338 1/15 17.07.51.

II* GV

2. The C18 residence of the local brewer, John Morris, whose buildings carried out by Holland influenced local work for many years. 2 distinct abutting sections: the western built in 1775 and re-modelled by Holland, when he added the eastern in 1794. Western section: 2 storeys of brick capped by shallow stone cornice decorated with triglyphs below a plain reveal. Stone cills. 4 steps lead to central doorway in massive stone porch built in 1794. Tuscan columns support and architrave enriched with carving by George Garrard of foliage looped swags across rosettes and hanging from ribboned bows, beneath a moulded classical cornice. The door: 6 panels (11 fielded) beneath delicate fanlight stand between plain reveals of a round headed alcove, the spandrels of which are filled with a fluted fan motif. Eastern section, slightly uphill and of taller proportions, so that the levels of the windows do not follow those of the western section. Brick (2 storeys) with deeply projecting stone cornice, on whose soffit are groups of massed guttae, below a similar plant parapet and coping. Broad stone band above the ground floor windows and at same level as top member of stone porch in western section. 4 windows. Sir Albert Richardson, PRA, lived here 1919-64. See VCH page 268; CL.

Nos 12 to 32 (even) form a group.

Listing NGR: TL0355238180

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Bedford, (1904), 268

National Grid Reference: TL 03552 38180

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1114436 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 10:27:11.

End of official listing