12-16, NEWNHAM STREET

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1114527

Date first listed: 18-Apr-1991

Statutory Address: 12-16, NEWNHAM STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of 12-16, NEWNHAM STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1114527 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 06:32:11.

Location

Statutory Address: 12-16, NEWNHAM STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bedford (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: TL 05345 49896

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following buildings shall be added:

TL 0449 & TL0549 Bedford Newnham Street

1/203 Nos 12-16 (even) II

Row of three houses. 1798, for James Whittingstall and William Long (brewers). Red brick in flemish bond; plain tile roofs; brick stacks. 2 storeys, 6 bays; each house of 2 bays and with gabled rear wing, that of no.16 rebuilt, those of nos 12 and 14 heightened. Plinth: No 12 has old 6-panel door on left in architrave with 4-pane overlight, dentilled cornice, and bracketed hood; nos 14 and 16 have late C20 doors,on left and right respectively, each with overlight and late C20 bracketed hood. Nos 12 and 14 each have a mid-late C19 bay window; no 16 small-pane bowed window on brick plinth. On 1st floor nos 12 and 16 have original window openings with flat gauged brick arches, no 16 having original small-pane side-sliding sashes, no 12 with replacement small-pane 2-light casements; no 14 has upvc windows in concrete rendered surrounds with tile sills. Two ridge stacks between houses. Interior: Nos 12 and 14 retain original board doors; cupboards, and stairs, no 14 retaining closed string balustrade with stick balusters and ball-finialed square newel. Continuous roof space. Bedfordshire County Planning Department, Bedford: Aspects of Town Origins and Development, Bedfordshire Historic Environment No 2, fig 8 indenture accompanying deeds no 12. Terrier of St Cuthberts Church, 1822.

Listing NGR: TL0534549896

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 35594

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing