STRICT BAPTIST CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1114604

Date first listed: 14-Sep-1989

Date of most recent amendment: 08-Nov-1989

Statutory Address: STRICT BAPTIST CHAPEL, ST MARY'S GATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of STRICT BAPTIST CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1114604 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 14:46:53.

Location

Statutory Address: STRICT BAPTIST CHAPEL, ST MARY'S GATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Central Bedfordshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Dunstable

National Grid Reference: TL0179621687

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for:

TL 0121 NE St Mary's Street

1/134 Strict Baptist Chapel

the address shall be amended to read: St Mary's Gate Strict Baptist Chapel

The following building shall be added:

TL 0121 NE ST MARY'S STREET

1/134 Strict Baptist Chapel

II

Strict Baptist Chapel. Built 1849 on site of earlier building. Flemish bond yellow brick; gabled slate roof; brick rear end stack. Classical style. Gabled 3-bay front framed by clasped pilasters and dentilled cornice; gauged red brick semi-circular arches over 30-pane sashes flanking blind window set above classi- cal doorway with pilasters and cornice. 3-bay side walls with similar sashes to front and flat brick arches over 2-light casements with glazing bars to rear and door to rear left. Interior: complete set of furnishings with carved bench ends to pews, and gallery to three sides with panelled balcony fronts and dados and reached by two straight-flight stairs with winders; box pews to front flank pulpit with turned balusters and fret-cut brackets to steps. Monuments: wall tablets to Lawrence Chesher, Minister (d.1819) and wife Mary (d.1817) and to Mary Hudrial of Totternhoe (d.1808). History: the first meeting-house in St Mary's Street was built in 1708.

Listing NGR: TL0179621687

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 35778

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing