BAPTIST UNION CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1114612

Date first listed: 10-Sep-1954

Statutory Address: BAPTIST UNION CHURCH, CASTLE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of BAPTIST UNION CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1114612 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 17:19:49.

Location

Statutory Address: BAPTIST UNION CHURCH, CASTLE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Luton (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: TL 09202 20891

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CASTLE STREET 1. 5123 (east side)

Baptist Union Church TL 0920 4/1 10.9.54 II

2. 1836-44 in neo-classical style. Stucco with false ashlar joints. Slate roofs. Symmetrical plan externally giving impression of nave, small transepts and chancel, though internally a non-conformist hall. Side entrances project from north and south sides, also containing gallery stairs. East end beyond these is slightly wider than west end of chapel. Western elevation is a symmetrical classical design. There is a pediment containing a modern cartouche bearing the words UNION CHAPEL. Dentil band and frieze beneath. Three bays below. Central one is reached from raised platform with stairs to either side. It is deeply recessed, with windows in reveals, and pediment over is supported on 2 Doric columns. Modern double doors, doorway with architrave under pediment with small side quadrant wings, all supported on 2 side brackets. Doorway is flanked by 2 tall windows in plain reveals, and one window over. The 2 side bays are defined by full length plain pilasters. Each bay has 2 windows, with moulded architrave and cills, the upper tall and having pediments as over the door, and the lower more squat. The north and south elevations are similar. Each is of 7 bays, 4 at the west end, 2 at the east, divided by the single bay of the side entrance. Three storeys in shallow round-headed recesses. First and second floor sash windows with glazing bars in plain reveals and with cills in each bay. Second floor round-headed with radial glazing bars in head. Entrance and stairs projecting bay is 2 storey with one window, as first floor types; 6 panelled door up 2 steps, in moulded architrave with cornice over on foliated and scrolled brackets. East end is wrapped round by large Sunday school building of 1892, not included in the listing. Well proportioned interior of chapel has lobby at west end before main tall. This has plain ceiling; panelled gallery runs around all 4 sides on slim plain iron columns. Second floor gallery across west end only, also on columns, and with delicate foliate cast iron railings. Pews are later C19.

Listing NGR: TL0920220891

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 35793

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing