This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BURY PARK UNITED REFORMED CHURCH

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BURY PARK UNITED REFORMED CHURCH

List entry Number: 1114638

Location

BURY PARK UNITED REFORMED CHURCH, WALDECK ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Luton

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Feb-1981

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 35848

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WALDECK ROAD 1. 5123 Bury Park United Reformed Church TL 0821 1/1 II

2. 1895-1903 by G Baines in neo-decorated and perpendicular style, on corner site. Fine light red brick, stone dressings, slate roofs. Schoolroom to east built first, followed by cruciform church. Cambered tower on corner, with short spire and weathervane, short diagonal angle buttresses; moulded parapet and plain corner turrets; cornice band with rosettes and gargoyles on buttresses; four light louvred window in each face; lancet windows, plain stone bands, door on west side. West front has large gable with decorated apex over large seven light window. Single storey porch of half hexagonal plan with parapet gabled over main door; four buttresses with empty niches. Small turret to south echoing main tower. North elevation has similar large gabled window and two two-light square headed windows underneath. It is flanked by two small turrets. Single storey link to schoolroom at east having three lancet windows in coped gable over porch entrance. Interior of church has four large pointed arches springing from foliated capitals on square marble columns; ribbed ceiling. Semi circular pew arrangement. Panelling behind organ with same ogee motif as used extensively in window tracery. Some plain Art Nouveau style glass.

Listing NGR: TL0839821896

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 08398 21896

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1114638 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 12:07:28.

End of official listing