CEYLON BAPTIST CHURCH AND HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1114641

Date first listed: 31-Jan-1980

Statutory Address: CEYLON BAPTIST CHURCH AND HALL, WELLINGTON STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CEYLON BAPTIST CHURCH AND HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1114641 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 13:52:02.

Location

Statutory Address: CEYLON BAPTIST CHURCH AND HALL, WELLINGTON STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Luton (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: TL 08908 21059

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WELLINGTON STREET 1. 5123 Ceylon Baptist Church and Hall TL 0821 1/5 31.1.80 II

2. The chapel was built in 1848, refronted 1886 and with church hall added to rear in 1908, architect Barnes. The chapel of 1848 is of 3 bays, red brick with rubber brick dressings. to large pointed arch panels containing tall 3 light Y tracery side windows. Moulded string to frieze and moulded brick parapet cornice. Three bay buttressed screen front of 1886 when the church was slightly lengthened. Darker red brick with stone dressings. The buttresses are surmounted by tall slender stone pinnacles with crocket finials. Parapets over flanking bays, steep gable with coping crocket finial over large panel traceried central window. Central doorway, moulded 3 centred arch panelled spandrells, dropped hood mould. Two light windows to flanking bays with similar tracery details. The church interior is as furnished in the 1880s with curved corner gallery with serpentine front decorated cast iron balustrade; pews, pulpet desk and organ all good joinery and turned work of this date. Barnes's addition of the church hall in 1908 is a competent Arts and Crafts perpendicular essay with a broad gabled west front coped with shaped kneelers and with hall lit by large 7 light panel traceried window on first floor. Red brick with stone dressings and band courses. Freely handled curved ogee theme to window leads and tracery. The broad hall window is flanked by shallow banded buttresses breaking through gable with shaped stone copings and openwork. Arts and Crafts iron finials. Two storey annexe to north projecting with splayed entrance return, same window type; flat eaves on wrought iron brackets. South side elevation has 7 bays of tall 3 light Perp derived first floor windows, plain ground floor. Leadwork to down pipes. Interior has offices and rooms on ground floor with main hall on first floor; a substantial 7 bay hall running the length of the building. Hammerbeam timber with wrought iron centre tier, pitch pine matchboarding. Lively colours to Arts and Crafts stained glass in pseudo cartouche and floral patterns. Dado panelling capped by band of blue-green ceramic initialled donor tiles.

Listing NGR: TL0890821059

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 35853

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing