CHURCH ST DUNSTEN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1114777

Date first listed: 13-Jul-1964

Statutory Address: CHURCH ST DUNSTEN, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH ST DUNSTEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1114777 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2018 at 20:46:07.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH ST DUNSTEN, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bedford (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Bolnhurst and Keysoe

National Grid Reference: TL 08076 58689

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 05NE BOLNHURST AND KEYSOE CHURCH LANE, BOLNHURST

6/1 Church of St Dunstan

13.7.64 II*

Parish church. C13 origins, C14 details, mainly C15. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings. Chancel, N vestry, nave, S porch, W tower. Chancel of C13 origins but reworked has S door with pointed head and C15 lowside window, NE and SE windows probably C16, and C19 E window. C19 N vestry. Mid C14 pointed chancel arch. C15 nave: blocked doorway to N wall, flanked by cinquefoiled 3-light windows with tracery and embattled transoms at half height; 2 similar windows and one in C14 style to S wall, but all with C19 tracery. C15 S porch, outer doorway with 2-centred head. C15 4-stage tower has diagonal buttresses and pairs of 2-light windows to top stage. W doorway surmounted by restored 3-light window with C15 tracery. Embattled parapets to tower and nave. Interior: octagonal font to nave; remains of painting of St.Christopher to nave N wall; 1707 and 1727 marble wall monuments to nave NE corner; screen C15 but much restored; some C16 pewing; fragment of C15 glass to nave NE window showing the Virgin; 1853 E window initialled by W. Holland of Warwick; organ case by Pugin (Pevsner p.58) C19 chancel roof, nave roof restored C17.

Listing NGR: TL0807658689

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 36201

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Bedfordshire, Huntingdon and Peterborough, (1968), 58

End of official listing