This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

SHELTON HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SHELTON HALL

List entry Number: 1114803

Location

SHELTON HALL, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Bedford

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Dean and Shelton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 07-May-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 36259

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 06NW DEAN AND SHELTON CHURCH ROAD (EAST SIDE), SHELTON

1/60 Shelton Hall

7.5.52 II

House. C17, possibly of earlier origin, situated within rectangular moated site. Coursed rubble, incorporating some red brick, and rendered. Slate roof to front, clay tiles to rear. large rectangular block, 2 storeys. Ashlar chimney stacks to ridge and gable ends, those to ridge and SW gable double. Sashes with glazing bars to front and rear, with small round-headed sashes, front one over main door, lighting staircase. Doorheads to both front elevation doors, main door to left of 6 panels, top 2 pairs glazed. Interior: first floor west room has 4-centred stone arched chimneypiece in square-headed cyma reversa moulding. Newel close string staircase with turned balusters. C20 2 storeyed extension to rear NE. Thought to be west wing of former quadrangle of medieval origin, due to siting and thickness of some external walls (VCH p.161).

Listing NGR: TL0337368712

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Bedford, (1904), 161

National Grid Reference: TL 03373 68712

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1114803 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 10:20:20.

End of official listing