PARISH CHURCH OF SAINT DENYS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1114892

Date first listed: 13-Jul-1964

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF SAINT DENYS

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF SAINT DENYS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1114892 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 20:31:07.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF SAINT DENYS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bedford (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Little Barford

National Grid Reference: TL 17751 56953

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 15NE LITTLE BARFORD

6/64 Parish Church of Saint Denys 13.7.64

- II*

Parish church. Norman, C14, C15 and C19. Brown cobbles with ashlar dressings, C20 tile and some slate roofs. Chancel, S vestry and organ chamber, nave aisle, W tower. Chancel: Norman, early C14, reworked 1869. 3 lancets to E, 2 C14 style N windows. Early C14 chancel arch. C14 2-bay S arcade. C14 S chapel demolished 1834, replaced 1869 by vestry and organ chamber. Nave: Norman and C14, reworked 1834 and 1871. 3-bay pointed arched N arcade. 3 S windows, one C16 set at higher level, others C19 in C12 and C14 style. Late C12 S doorway, square head under semi-circular arch with zigzag and dogtooth designs and scalloped capitals. Holy water stone projects externally E of door. C15 clerestory, 2 windows each side. Plain parapet. N aisle: early C14 reworked C19. Reset C12 windows to W and E, E much altered. Other openings C19. Late C15 3-stage. W tower with embattled parapet, paired belfry windows and restored 5-light window. Interior: late C13 octagonal font has beaded angles, 5 columns and traces of red paint. 1535 brass in nave floor. C15 projecting piscina, reset in vestry, has arched opening to W and head imitating ribbed vault. C15 screen, also removed to vestry, repainted from indications of old colour. C19 roofs and pewing. W window by Kempe 1887.

Listing NGR: TL1775156953

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 36467

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing