FORMER TOILET BLOCK AND WATER TOWER AT SOUTH END OF CHARFIELD STATION

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1114970

Date first listed: 05-Jun-1984

Statutory Address: FORMER TOILET BLOCK AND WATER TOWER AT SOUTH END OF CHARFIELD STATION, STATION ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER TOILET BLOCK AND WATER TOWER AT SOUTH END OF CHARFIELD STATION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1114970 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 18:19:43.

Location

Statutory Address: FORMER TOILET BLOCK AND WATER TOWER AT SOUTH END OF CHARFIELD STATION, STATION ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: South Gloucestershire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Charfield

National Grid Reference: ST 72446 92195

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 79 SW CHARFIELD STATION ROAD (west side)

2/18 Former Toilet Block and Water Tower at south end of Charfield G.V. Station II

Toilet block, circa 1843-44; water tower, now used as offices, mid - late C19. The toilet block is 15 yards south of the booking hall and waiting room (q.v.): brick, slate roof with overhanging bracketted eaves and coped raised verges on kneelers; single storey with 2 single-light casement windows in chamfered surrounds. The water tower is immediately south of the former stationmaster's house (q.v.): brick lower storey with two 2-light cross windows with ashlar mullions and surrounds, central plank door; above is the iron water tank with panelled and ribbed sides. The buildings at Charfield Station form the only surviving intact group of buildings on the line - an important line which completed the through route from Exeter to Newcastle in 1844. (Buchanan L.A. and Buchanan R.A., Batsford Guide to Industrial Archaeology : Central South England, 1980).

Listing NGR: ST7244692195

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 34639

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Buchanan, , Buchanan, , Batsford Guide to Industrial Archaeology Central Southern England, (1980)

End of official listing