This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE MEADS FARMHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE MEADS FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1115053

Location

THE MEADS FARMHOUSE, WESTEND ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: South Gloucestershire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Wickwar

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-Sep-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 34832

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 78 NW WICKWAR WESTEND ROAD, WEST END (south side) 4/208 17.9.52 The Meads Farmhouse G.V. II

Farmhouse. Late C16/early C17, altered C19. Rubble with freestone dressings; plain tiled roof; rubble diagonal stacks with cornice, one brick stack on north wing. L-plan, vernacular farmhouse. 2 storeys and attics in stone gables to east - west range; hipped roof at east end. 2 storeys to north range with lower 2 storey addition at north end which has a lean-to under a catslide roof on the west side. 2 windows to each range; the north range has a projecting lateral stack between the windows; late C19 single and 2-light casement windows in chamfered ashlar surrounds with chamfered mullions and 4-centred heads. Plain door at south end of north wing, under a flat hood. Interior. The north wing contains the hall and dairy with a later brewhouse and stable at the north end; the east-west range contains the parlour, pantry and kitchen. Chamfered beams on the ground floor; between the parlour and the kitchen is an open well stair with carved flat balusters, and a billet moulded handrail and closed string. Parlour chamber: wooden bolection moulded fire surround. Attic: ovolo moulded door frame, plank door with strap hinges which have fleur-de-lys ends; fireplace with ovolo moulded lintel and decorative over-lintel. (L. Hall, Rural Houses of North Avon and South Gloucestershire, 1983).

Listing NGR: ST7163688518

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hall, L, 'City of Bristol Museum and Art Gallery Monograph Number 6' in The Rural Houses of North Avon and South Gloucestershire 1400-1720, (1983)

National Grid Reference: ST 71636 88518

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1115053 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 11:52:31.

End of official listing