PENANT FARMHOUSE AND GARDEN WALL TO FRONT AND SIDES WITH MOUNTING BLOCK

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1115085

Date first listed: 26-Jun-1987

Statutory Address: PENANT FARMHOUSE AND GARDEN WALL TO FRONT AND SIDES WITH MOUNTING BLOCK

Map

Ordnance survey map of PENANT FARMHOUSE AND GARDEN WALL TO FRONT AND SIDES WITH MOUNTING BLOCK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1115085 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 15:18:16.

Location

Statutory Address: PENANT FARMHOUSE AND GARDEN WALL TO FRONT AND SIDES WITH MOUNTING BLOCK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: St. Endellion

National Grid Reference: SW 99924 79084

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SW 97 NE ST ENDELLION 4/5 Penant Farmhouse and garden wall to front and sides with mounting block GV II Farmhouse and garden walls to front and sides with mounting block. Possibly late C16 or early C17 partly extended and remodelled in early C19. Stone rubble, partly rebuilt on front and rear elevations with masonry in left-hand gable end renewed in 1970s. Slate roof with gable end on left, hipped end on right and projecting cross wing to front right with cement-washed scantle slate roof with hipped end to front and gable end to rear. The eaves appear to have been raised on the front right-hand side of this range. Early ridge tile of equestrian figure with head missing. Main range with stone rubble and brick stack on left-hand gable end and evidence of truncated chimney stack visible from within roof space on right-hand hipped end. Cross wing with front room heated by projecting side lateral chimney stack with rendered diagonally set pair of C19 shafts with circa C17 stone rubble chimney stack on rear gable end. Plan uncertain but appears to comprise earlier 2-room plan cross wing on right heated by side lateral stack and gable end stack. Main range on left possibly remodelled in early C19; of double depth plan with 2 reception rooms on front with wide cross passage containing stair and service room and back stair across rear. 2 storeys 3:1 wings. Regular 3 windows to left disposed slightly towards the right, and doorway to right of centre, 1 window in projecting cross wing to right. Range on left with 2 probably C19 4-pane sashes with dressed stone probably renewed arch on left and rendered lintel on right. C19 4-panel door with C20 conservatory porch between. 3 possibly C19 4-pane sashes on first floor with dressed stone arches. Cross wing on right with blocked opening in side wall on left and C19 20-pane sashes on ground and first floor. Reset granite lintel above first floor opening. Rear elevation unaltered with C19 sashes and C19 2-light sliding-sash in first floor of gable end to cross wing on left. Interior Roof timbers to main range replaced in circa mid to late C19. Circa mid C17 roof timbers in rear section of cross wing with fairly heavy clean principals possibly with slightly curved feet, halved, lapped and pegged at apex. Collars chamfered and halved lapped and pegged onto principals. Roof structure to front section of cross wing where eaves have been raised inaccessible. Full inspection of interior not accessible. Stone rubble garden wall to front and sides with mounting block on left-hand side. Formerly property of the Row family who were Catholics. Trevan, Dr Frederick The History of Port Isaac and Port Quin 1833-34.

Listing NGR: SW9992479084

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 351332

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Trevan, F, The History of Port Isaac and Port Quin, (1833-1834)

End of official listing