This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

COTTAGE 30 METRES TO NORTH WEST OF TREVATHAN FARMHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: COTTAGE 30 METRES TO NORTH WEST OF TREVATHAN FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1115092

Location

COTTAGE 30 METRES TO NORTH WEST OF TREVATHAN FARMHOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: St. Endellion

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Jun-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 351349

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SW 97 NE ST ENDELLION 4/20 Cottage 30m to north west of - Trevathan Farmhouse GV II House with gutted rear wing on right. Circa 1720s. Ashlar stone with partly cement- washed slate roof with brick gable end stacks, right-hand projecting and axial stack heating higher end of hall to right of centre. Plan altered and original arrangement uncertain. Comprises 2-room plan on left and remains of 1-room plan to right with rear wing behind. Possibly originally 3-room plan with stair in projection at rear of higher end of hall and evidence of blocked door leading from higher end of hall into room on right. The entrance to the left- hand range leads directly into the hall and there is no sign of an original cross passage. The rear wing on the right has been partly demolished. It was heated by side lateral stack which backs onto the stair projection and it is possible that this wing predated the 1720s range. 2 storeys regular 4-window front with dressed stone arches to ground floor openings. Range on left-hand side with symmetrical 3-window front with 2 C20 pvc cross windows probably replacing original mullion and transom windows. Central circa C18 6-panel door with fanlight above. First floor with 3 C20 pvc windows in sash openings. Right-hand 1-window range with double C19 18-pane sash on ground floor and C19 24- pane hornless sash on first floor. Original mullion and transom window to stair projection to rear of left-hand range. Interior with fairly complete circa 1720s interior with 6-panel doors with raised and fielded panels on ground floor and 3-panel doors with original hinges on first floor. Left-hand room with early C18 moulded cornice broken forward over timber bolection moulded fireplace with contemporary china cupboard on left with raised and fielded panels. Larger right-hand room, presumably hall, has been partly partitioned off on the left in circa 1950s to provided a cross passage. The moulded early C18 plaster cornice to this room indicates that the entrance originally opened directly into the hall; C20 chimney piece. Stair in projection to rear at higher end of hall; circa 1720s open-well stair with closed string, turned balusters, square newels and moulded rail. Contemporary plasterwork above with angel's head with strings of foliage above and below in raised fielded panel. First floor with some moulded cornices. Roof timbers not inspected. Right-hand range with fielded panelled shutters. Particularly complete house of the 1720s. House originally owned by Robartes of Lanhydrock, then sold to the Peters of Marlyn. Trevan, Dr Frederick The History of Port Isaac and Port Quin 1833-34.

Listing NGR: SW9970377855

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Trevan, F, The History of Port Isaac and Port Quin, (1833-1834)

National Grid Reference: SW9970377855

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1115092 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 04:37:52.

End of official listing