PARK FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1115104

Date first listed: 20-Aug-1993

Statutory Address: PARK FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARK FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1115104 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 22:42:51.

Location

Statutory Address: PARK FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: St. Clement

National Grid Reference: SW 84095 43740

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST CLEMENT SW 84 SW 5/275 Park Farmhouse the item number shall be amended to read: 6/10007

and the description shall be amended to read:

Farmhouse, later small country house. Late C16 or early C17, remodelled between 1770 and 1785 for Elizabeth Warrick, daughter of Richard Peters. Coursed dressed freestone front with granite quoins, basement lintels, keyblock and sills; otherwise rubble walls and slatehanging to front of wing on left, to 2nd floor of rear wing and to 1st floor of 2-storey possible former porch; dry slate hipped roofs except for asbestos slate to wing on left with crested C19 clay ridge tiles and finials; brick lateral stacks over rear wall and over side walls. Irregular T-shaped plan with C18 house built incorporating parts of a C16 or C17 house. Shaft of the T has C18 front with a 2-room plan house with stair hall; lower kitchen wing on the left; rear wing (heightened to 3 storeys circa late C19) behind right-hand side, with 2-storey probable former porch in rear right-hand angle and further wing on right of house which also projects forward as cross wing. 2 storeys over basement; symmetrical 5-window south front. Flat arches with projecting keyblocksx over original C18 12-pane sashes with thick glazing bars and central doorway with pair of 3-panel doors within mid C19 canted wooden porch with flat roof over wide eaves with paired brackets and round-headed doorway with original pair of doors with fanlight heads and glazing bars; blind side panels under small arches. 2 late C19 12-pane horned sashes on 1st floor of left-hand return in similar openings to front. Other elevations unaltered since late C19. Interior; basement of right-hand room (of central 2-room house) has late C16 or early C17 granite fireplace with roll-moulded architrave over diabolo stops; later brick back. Principal rooms have late C18 heavy moulded plaster ceiling cornices; a late C18 closed string dog-leg stair with moulded handrail over stick balusters, panelled shutters, 4-panel doors; C19 chimney pieces to ground floor rooms, probably original ones to 1st floor. Much old crown glass on one pane of which is inscribed: E Warrick. History: In 1276 Park was known as Parkum. From 1337-1650 it was owned by the family descended from John de Park; from 1650-1700, the Harris family; from 1700-1732, the c6ven or Covin family; from 1732-1760, the Long family; from 1760-1770, Richard Peters, a Merchant of Truro and Tregony; in 1770 bequeathed to his daughter Elizabeth who married Christopher Warrick, surgeon, whose father Thomas Warrick was Mayor of Truro in 1765; in 1785 bequeathed to their daughter Harriet who married Rear Admiral Sir John Ferris Devonshire, who served with Nelson; 1839 bequeathed to their son John; 1848 bequeathed to Captain Vivian of list Hussars - Lord of the Treasury and Under Secretary for War, M.P for Truro and 2 spinster Devonshires; 1855 bequeathed to Elizabeth Warrick Devonshire, spinster; 1879 bequeathed to Charles James Devonshire who, with Alice Ann, had 9 children; 1896 bequeathed to Charles Warwick Devonshire and in 1912 it was sold from this family to Walter Cruse, fruit farmer and since then it has changed hands 4 times to the present owner Colin Parker, a fisherman.

------------------------------------

ST CLEMENT SW 84 SW 5/275 Park Farmhouse - II C18/Cl9 building built over original of probably Cl6/Cl7 said to be originally 1564. Ashlar, later slate hipped roof with eaves. 2 storeys and basement. 5 windows, sashes with glazing bars, keyblocks. Central doorway with enclosed wood porch with semi-circular headed lights. Stone fireplace of original house in basement.

Listing NGR: SW8409543740

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 351279

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing