SO 77 SE
Church of St Leonard
Parish church. Early C12, enlarged early C15 and mid C15, restored 1877 by F Preedy. Sandstone ashlar with machine-tile roof. Nave C15 with north aisle (partly C12), north porch and south aisle (C15); chancel rebuilt 1877.
North aisle: three bays, to left a window of two cinquefoil lights under a two-centred head, restored; to centre a C19 window of three pointed lights under a two-centred head, right bay has north door and porch; the porch is timber-framed and is dated on the cambered tie beam "TM 1633 HW", with moulded bargeboards, sides have balustrades with turned balusters; north door: semi-circular head with roll moulding, engaged jamb shafts with carved capitals, the tympanum bears a scene in low relief of an archer with a dog shooting at a monster; east window (and wall) are C19; west window C16 with a window of three lights with four-centred heads under a four-centred arch; south aisle: three bays divided by stepped buttresses, all windows are C15 of three lights, the centre light cinquefoiled, the flanking lights trefoiled under four-centred heads; under the western window is a re-set C12 door which has a semicircular head, and carved capitals to the jamb shafts; west window as other windows of aisle; east indow again similar but re-set in C19 wall; nave: west end has a door with a four-centred head below a four-light square headed window; C19 timber bellcote above has a shingled pyramidal roof; chapel: one bay, a re-set c16 window in north and south wall of two cinquefoil lights under a square head; east window: C19, three cinquefoiled lights under pointed head.
INTERIOR: nave: north arcade: four bays, two to east rebuilt C19, to west early C15, all piers are octagonal with four-centred arches; south arcade: of timber, mid C15, five bays with octagonal columns and arch braces from columns to wall-plate forming two-centred arches, no chancel arch.
Roofs: arch-braced collar trusses throughout, nave and chancel of five plus two, with two C19 wooden columns supporting bellcote, north aisle of seven bays, with two statue niches under the corbels supporting the feet of principal rafters, south aisle roof of five bays.
Fittings: three medieval cross slabs against west wall of north aisle, some C12 architectural fragments are set in the south wall of the south aisle; the altar rail and pulpit are C19, but include pieces of C15 tracery, probably from the rood screen.
Glass: east window of chancel 1928 by James Powell and Sons, Whitefriars; west window of nave designed by Sir Edward Burne Jones, executed by Morris & Co 1875; west window of south aisle includes C15 heraldic glass and St George killing the dragon, also C15.
(Hereford and Worcester Record Office, BA 8377/19 (ii)].
Listing NGR: SO7863274019