THE PRIORY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1115160

Date first listed: 19-May-1950

Statutory Address: THE PRIORY, 19, CHURCH SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE PRIORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1115160 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 08:29:06.

Location

Statutory Address: THE PRIORY, 19, CHURCH SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Norton-Radstock

National Grid Reference: ST6623254266

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5120

CHURCH SQUARE Midsomer-Norton No 19 (The Priory)

ST 6654 4/1 19.5.50 II* 2. Early-mid C17. Rubble with rusticated ashlar quoins, slate roof with coped verges and ashlar chimneys. Two storeys. Three windows, 2 light casements with moulded wooden mullions on 1st floor. Two windows, 3 light stone mullion casements on ground floor. All windows have rectangular drip-moulds. Square headed doorway with architrave surround and triple keystone, apparently early C18, tall large semi-circular hollow stone hood on cut stone brackets. Eight panel door, upper 4 glazed. Later 2 storey wing to left, one window. Projecting early C19 brick walls with ramped stone coping, and arched entrance to right hand part and niches. To rear a gabled stair turret. Interior: hall has dado height Gothick panelling, formerly part of the galleries in Parish Church of St John The Baptist (q.v); arched door to stairs. Ground floor east room, restored Tudor arch fireplace with salt cupboard, cross beamed ceiling. Ground floor west room, deep and wide fireplace formerly with traces of running scroll painting. Two of the doors to west side on ground floor are C17 plank doors. This house has been considerably adapted. In 1712 it was sold by Christ Church, Oxford: the front probably dates from then. There are considerable traces of an older dwelling incorporated, partly timber-framed. One internal wall gives the perch measure (now covered). To rear, above the modernised kitchen, is a former schoolroom.

Listing NGR: ST6623254266

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 31933

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing