PARISH CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1115180

Date first listed: 19-May-1950

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1115180 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2018 at 11:17:24.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Norton-Radstock

National Grid Reference: ST 68865 54638

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5120 THE STREET (west side) Radstock Parish Church of St Nicholas ST 6854 5/29 19.5.50 II 2. C15 west tower and late mediaeval south wall and porch (possibly early C15). Rest rebuilt 1879 in Geometric style, architect William Willcox of Bath. Five bay nave with north aisle, 3 bay chancel with vestry to north. Coursed limestone rubble with weathered buttresses. Slate roof with polychromatic bands. The west tower is of 3 low stages, upper, crenellated, stage possibly a later addition; outer diagonal buttresses; angled stair turret to north; cornice and corner gargoyles; stepped and moulded plinth; west door replaced by window; Decorated style 2 light cusped belfry windows. South nave windows: 3 square headed Perpendicular style replacing original windows and 2 poor geometric type (see also on north side). South porch has C19 gable but retains late C15 doorway with canopied niche over (wild-man corbel), barrel vault inside with quatrefoils and bosses with animals and faces. Vestry has intricate rose window and angled chimney. Interior: south wall retains mediaeval features, eg rood loft stair (narrow opening) and cusped piscina. Lop-sided Norman font, a cylinder with cable-moulding. Highly ornamental pulpit of 1888, octagonal on column with mosaics, marble and a statue of St. Nicholas. Heavily carved oak parclose screen in Perpendicular style to chancel arch. Stone carved 5 bay reredos of circa 1874. Good Gothick organ in archway to north of chancel. Important fragments at west end: Roman inscription and an early C15 rood with Virgin on reverse and churchyard cross-shaft. Graveyard entered from north-east by 2 gate piers with blind tracery panels. Two lightly carved early C19 head stones to right of porch (one on wall). Two chest tombs, the one nearest the church mid-C18 with carved piers; the other, close to south porch, to William Lansdown, (died 1793) with oval inscription panel, angel busts and cabriole corner piers.

Listing NGR: ST6886554638

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 31982

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing