CHURCH OF THE HOLY GHOST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1115202

Date first listed: 19-May-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 21-Dec-1979

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF THE HOLY GHOST, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE HOLY GHOST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1115202 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 20:20:42.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF THE HOLY GHOST, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Norton-Radstock

National Grid Reference: ST6636554234

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5120

HIGH STREET (north side) Midsomer Norton Church of the Holy Ghost (formerly listed as Roman Catholic Church)

ST 6654 4/6 19.5.50 II* GV 2. Roman Catholic. Probably C15. Formerly a tithe barn; patched, restored and converted by Giles Gilbert Scott to include some modern Gothic windows and doorways, but the fabric and several features are original. Red sandstone rubble with limestone dressings and buttresses. Old pantile roof with coped verges. Six bays divided by 2-stage weathered buttresses. Third bay from left has projecting gabled porch with Grangers' room over and wide 3-centred elliptical archway (rebuilt) with chamfered moulding. Window above is 2 light Perpendicular with square head, single transoms, original head tracery and replaced rectangular drip-mould. 'Front elevation of porch is faced with limestone ashlar. Right-hand side wall has pointed arch chamfered doorway and exterior wooden steps (modern) and 4-centred arch doorway leading to room over. The wide inner doorway of porch has been blocked and pierced by modern Gothic doorway with ogee hood mould. Original iron door staples remain. Corresponding doorway in rear elevation has also been blocked and shows original oak lintel and iron door staples. Between each buttress is single loop window and there are 3 similar loops in left-hand end gable. Right-hand end gable has 2 modern square head Perpendicular windows and 3 buttresses. Stone cross finials on end gables and porch gable. Interior has open timber roof with arch braces and collar beams, 2 purlins, curved wind-braces between. Loop windows have wide internal splays. Grangers' room has an upper cruck truss and enriched wall plates (concealed). Gilt tabernacle of 1794 from Bavarian Embassy Chapel, Warwick Street, Soho. For further details see Church Guide Book.

Listing NGR: ST6636554234

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 31943

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing