GROUP OF 35 CHEST TOMBS TO EAST OF PARISH CHURCH OF ST SWITHUN'S

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1115277

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1983

Statutory Address: GROUP OF 35 CHEST TOMBS TO EAST OF PARISH CHURCH OF ST SWITHUN'S, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of GROUP OF 35 CHEST TOMBS TO EAST OF PARISH CHURCH OF ST SWITHUN'S
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1115277 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 10:10:27.

Location

Statutory Address: GROUP OF 35 CHEST TOMBS TO EAST OF PARISH CHURCH OF ST SWITHUN'S, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Bathford

National Grid Reference: ST 78832 66606

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 7866-7966 BATHFORD C.P. CHURCH STREET (South-east side) 9/50 Group of 35 chest tombs to G.V. east of Parish Church of St. Swithun's.

II

35 chest tombs. Mid - late C18th and early C19th. Ashlar. Most with panelled sides and moulded cornice. Including: 1785, Ann Nelson (sister of Lord Nelson); and adjacent tomb of 1805, Elizabeth Mateham, fluted pilasters, 8-sided with decorative top; Shrine family tomb (by south wall), 1785 and later, 8 sided with marble panel, urn on pedestal, low surrounding ashlar wall; (to left of Shrine tomb) 1760, Fisher, oval panels, corner balusters and frieze; (to right of Shrine tomb), two large tombs to the Wiltshire family of Shockerwick, c.1810 with square marble panels and 1840's with cusped panels; (to west of Shrine tomb) 1801, McClintock, square, marble shield-shaped panels, draped urn and 1807, Stone, 8 sided, fluted pilasters, oval panels. The chest tombs in Bathford Churchyard represent a good and extensive collection of classical and traditional local tomb forms and contribute greatly to the setting of the church.

Listing NGR: ST7883266606

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 32219

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing