WATERCRESS COTTAGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1115367

Date first listed: 01-Feb-1956

Statutory Address: WATERCRESS COTTAGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of WATERCRESS COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1115367 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 04:54:43.

Location

Statutory Address: WATERCRESS COTTAGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Combe Hay

National Grid Reference: ST 73390 59939

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 75 NW COMBE HAY

10/24 Watercress Cottage 1.2.56 G.V. II*

House. Dated 1624 on internal plasterwork. Rubble with freestone quoins; double Roman tiled roof with coped raised verges. Single storey and attics in 2 steep gabled dormers with finials. 2 bays: 2-, 3- and 4-light casement windows in ovolo moulded mullions, surrounds and lintels; triple relieving arches (with third arch over lower two arches) over ground floor window at left and door, and double relieving arches over first floor windows. Studded plank door to centre, in ovolo moulded surround and with strap hinges with fleur-de- lys ends. Single storey lean-to at right. Interior. Ground floor left room (the hall): freestone fire surround with ovolo moulded lintel, enriched cornice and moulded mantelshelf; above is a relief frieze of coarsely moulded figures, a central escutcheon and a fleur-de-lys. Ovolo and hollow moulded beams; other stop-chamfered beams. Rear winder stair. First floor left room (the hall chamber): plaster overmantel with mannered Ionic columns, dated TW/P and 16/24, enriched plasterwork with rosette teardrop motifs and enriched lintel with egg and dart cornice and decorative frieze. An interesting vernacular building with unusual details.

Listing NGR: ST7339059939

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 32438

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing