CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1115380

Date first listed: 01-Feb-1956

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARGARET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1115380 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 13:58:35.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Compton Dando

National Grid Reference: ST 63421 67010

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

COMPTON DANDO QUEEN CHARLTON ST 66 NW 2/50 Church of St. Margaret 1.2.56 II* G.V. GV Anglican parish church. Late C12, altered C13 and C15; restored. Consists of nave and north porch, central tower, north transept, chancel and remains of south chapel. Coursed rubble with freestone quoins and dressings, ashlar to upper parts of tower; lead roof over nave, plain and fishscale tiles elsewhere. The central tower is C12, altered in the C15 and restored in the C19; 2 full stages are visible above the body of the church; 2-light round-headed windows set within a large round-headed opening and under a hoodmould, all with continuous roll mouldings; diagonal buttresses with off-sets; parapet with pierced arcading, pinnacles and gargoyles; 2-light Perpendicular style bell chamber windows with blank arcading and under dripmoulds with diamond stops; 2-light Perpendicular style with cusped ogee head, on lowest stage of south side of tower, infilling an earlier arch; polygonal stairtower projects at north-east. Nave has C19 Perpendicular style window and C19 projecting north porch. North transept with 3-light Perpendicular style window; buttresses with off-sets at sides. Chancel: 2-light C19 Perpendicular style north window; 3-light east with Geometrical style tracery; projection on south side. Interior. The tower arches are pointed and single stepped, those to the nave and chancel have half-columns with scalloped capitals; blocked doorway with 4-centred head above north arch. The south side of the Chancel has a 2 bay arcade to the now removed south chapel; early - mid C13 with octagonal central pier which has a capital enriched with stiff-leaf, animal head and a human head in a head-dress; west respond has minimal stiff-leaf enrichment; more complete east respond is enriched with a beast's and a human head bitten by beasts, double chamfered arches. Book rest on north wall is set on a carved and crowned female head. Font is C12, ashlar, a cylindrical stem, an octagonal bowl with a cushion base. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST6342167010

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 32468

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)

End of official listing