MANOR HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1115381

Date first listed: 01-Feb-1956

Statutory Address: MANOR HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of MANOR HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1115381 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 15:25:30.

Location

Statutory Address: MANOR HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Compton Dando

National Grid Reference: ST 63386 66990

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 66 NW COMPTON DANDO QUEEN CHARLTON

2/52 Manor House 1.2.56 II* G.V. Manor house. C16, altered and extended early - mid C18 and c.1857. In 3 parts with the 2 older sections at the left (north). At the left is a 3 bay section of rubble and coursed square freestone with a hipped pantile roof behind a tall brick parapet ornamented with pineapple finials. 2 storeys and attics. Three 18-pane thick glazing bar sash windows, in moulded architraves on ground floor; the southern bay is set back and has a 2-light chamfered mullion window on the first floor. The centre section is rendered with a pantiled roof behind a moulded parapet with gadrooned urn finials. 2 storeys. 3 bays: 18-pane thick glazing bar sash windows in moulded architraves. Central panelled and glazed door under a plain arcaded overlight and in a doorcase with pilasters and an open segmental pediment with a central urn. the C19 right wing is rubble with freestone dressings and a mansard pantiled roof. Single storey and attics in 5 modern dormers. Four 2-light cross windows on ground floor with pointed heads to the glazing bars and in moulded architraves. Irregular rear elevation of squared freestone. 2 storeys with attics in steep gables which have greyhound finials. 4 bays, 18-pane thick glazing bar sash windows under dripmoulds. Door off-centre to left. Fragments of mediaeval carving set in the walls. 3 bay section at right with southern part recessed; eagle and pineapple finials on parapet; thick glazing bar sash windows and large sashes in brick surrounds. Interior. Hall in the centre is C16 with a hollow and ogee moulded freestone fireplace with a segmental head; above is an overmantel of re-assembled carving with birds, vines, wheat ears, trumpet and a crook with large side volutes (said to be from a Bristol house); moulded beams with thin moulded ribs in a diamond pattern and bulbous pendants in the spaces. Dining room and library have heraldic glass; heraldic cornice, dated 1857, to library - Morning room (to centre rear) has fielded panelling and a ceiling similar to the hall but with Tudor roses at the interstices and without pendants. Open well stair with panelled dado and turned balusters.

Listing NGR: ST6338666990

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 32470

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing