Saxons

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1115437

Date first listed: 21-Dec-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 17-May-1985

Statutory Address: Saxons, The Green, Finchingfield, Braintree, CM7 4JS

Map

Ordnance survey map of Saxons
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1115437 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 09:25:31.

Location

Statutory Address: Saxons, The Green, Finchingfield, Braintree, CM7 4JS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Finchingfield

National Grid Reference: TL 68445 32774

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 6832 7/49

FINCHINGFIELD THE GREEN (south-east side) (Bridge Street) Saxons

(Formerly listed as Nos.1/2 (Saxons))

21.12.67

GV II House. Of builds, early C15 or earlier and mid C16, altered in C19 and C20. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. Facing northwest. Two-bay crosswing at left, early C15 or earlier, of a hall house of which the remainder has been demolished, with C19 external stack at rear. Two-bay range at right, mid C16, with axial stack of c.1600 at the junction, forming a lobby-entrance. C19 single-storey extension with slate roof to rear of right end.

Single-storey lean-to extension to rear of middle part, incorporating a gabled two-storey part which may represent the earlier stair tower, but now mainly C20. Two storeys. Four-window range of C20 casements, C20 door. Both parts were originally jettied to the front, now underbuilt. Roof hipped and gabled at right end. The crosswing has large plain joists of horizontal section jointed to the binding beam with unrefined central tenons, exposed in the front bay, plastered to the soffits in the rear bay, jowled posts, cambered tiebeam with arched braces, and crownpost roof. The central tiebeam is square with four-way arched braces. The roof was originally gabled to the front, now altered to a hip but otherwise complete. The main range has a chamfered binding beam with step stops, chamfered bridging beams, and plain joists of horizontal section jointed with soffit tenons with diminished haunches. The upper storey has jowled posts, close studding, diamond mortices for an unglazed window at the right end, and a crownpost roof with thin axial braces. The stack has a chamfered mantel beam with lamb's tongue stops. The 1960 Schedule states that this house was recorded by the RCHM as no. 20, but the map on p. 94 of the RCHM Inventory shows that this is incorrect.

Listing NGR: TL6844532774

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 115192

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex North West, (1916)

End of official listing