Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1115477

Date first listed: 04-Jun-1952



Ordnance survey map of GREAT MAYTHAM
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1115477 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2019 at 16:18:34.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Ashford (District Authority)

Parish: Rolvenden

National Grid Reference: TQ 84819 30620


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


ROLVENDEN MAYTHAM ROAD 1. 5272 Great Maytham TQ 8430 19/318 4.6.52. II*

2. This was the original name of the Manor but in 1721 James Monypenny built a house here which he called Maytham Hall. This was completed by his son Robert Monypenny in 1760 but was largely burned down in 1893. This house consisted of a main block of 2 storeys and basement and 2 pavilions containing the laundry and stables. These C18 wings largely survive, but the main building was rebuilt 2 storeys higher by Sir Edwin Lutyens in 1909-12 for H J Tenant, who reverted to the use of the original name, Great Maytham. It is built of grey bricks (all stretchers) with red brick window dressings and quotas. Hipped tiled roof in 3 sections. Eaves cornice. Segmental headed sash windows with glazing bars intact. The main building consists of a centre block and 2 wings (in addition to the original C18 flanking pavilions). The central block has 5 windows and 5 dormers. Cornice above 1st floor. On its north-east or entrance front it has 3 storeys, attic and semi-basement. The dormers are surmounted by pediments. Central rusticated stone doorcase at the head of 8 wide steps with iron handrail, the doorcase having a curved pediment over containing a cartouche set in swags in the tympanum. The wings are L-shaped of 2 storeys, attic and semi-basement, and have 5 windows each (plus one window each to the inner face of the projection) and 3 dormers each without pediments. Brick aprons below the 1st floor windows. Rusticated stone doorcases with keystones over, at the head of 8 steps with iron handrails. The doorcase of the south-east wing also has a rectangular fanlight. The south-west or garden front has no basement. The central projection has 7 windows and 5 pedimented dormers. Stone doorcase with Corinthian pilasters, enriched frieze and curved pediment over containing a cartouche. On each side of the central projection are recessed portions of 3 windows and 2 dormers each, and then projections of 2 windows and one dormer each with chimney breasts in the angles of both Ls. On each side a passage at semi-basement level connects the Lutyens house with the original C18 flanking pavilions, the south-east pavilion was built as the laundry and the north-west pavilion as the stables. Each are of 2 storeys red brick. Hipped tiled roofs. Modillion eaves cornice. Two sashes with glazing bars intact. Round window in the centre of the north-west pavilion.

Listing NGR: TQ8481930620


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 180363

Legacy System: LBS


Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 24 Kent,

End of official listing