This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

NEW FIELD HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NEW FIELD HOUSE

List entry Number: 1115502

Location

NEW FIELD HOUSE, FORD ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: County Durham

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Lanchester

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 24-Jun-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 350590

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LANCHESTER FORD ROAD NZ 14 NE (East side) Lanchester

6/83 New Field House 17/1/67 (formerly listed as Greenwell Ford including chapel adjoining)

II

Formerly Greenwell Ford. House, part altered as private Roman Catholic chapel; now 3 flats. Early C19. Chapel alteration for Matthew Kearney c.1852; ceased chapel use c.1896. Sandstone ashlar with chamfered quoins; concrete tiled roof. L-plan. 2 storeys, 3 and 6 bays. Main house 6 bays. 6-panel door and fanlight with radiating glazing bars in Tuscan surround with prominent open pediment containing coat of arms; similar door and fanlight in first bay in keyed round- headed surround

Slightly set-back 3-bay chapel has 6-panel door and plain fanlight in keyed round-headed surround with Tuscan pilasters supporting acanthus-patterned entablature. All windows sashes with glazing bars and projecting stone sills, in plain reveals; plain narrow sash to right of right door, and mirror glass in window to right of that; c.1900 canted bay inserted at right end. Gutter cornice and blocking course. Low-pitched roof, hipped at right, has 4 panelled ridge chimneys with plinths and cornices, and left gabled bellcote. C20 drainage pipes in bays flanking main door.

Right return 5 bays, with central door, flanked by pilasters with ball finials under small pediment; formerly had Tuscan porch, now removed. Some glazing bars removed on this elevation. Left return gable has large first-floor round- headed window with radiating glazing bars in keyed stone surround with impost mouldings; plain stone surround to blocked door at right on ground floor.

C20 rear additions not of interest.

Interior not inspected.

Listing NGR: NZ1682746433

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 16827 46433

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1115502 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 11:50:24.

End of official listing