This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

OUR LADY'S CONVENT AND SCHOOL ADJOINING

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: OUR LADY'S CONVENT AND SCHOOL ADJOINING

List entry Number: 1115510

Location

OUR LADY'S CONVENT AND SCHOOL ADJOINING, PARK ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: Charnwood

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 05-Nov-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 189446

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 51 NW 5/75

PARK ROAD (north side) Our Lady's Convent and School adjoining

II

Convent, with chapel, priest's house and school. Begun 1850, and built slowly during the next few decades (Chapel 1863-4,School altered 1889, priest's house late C19). By Charles Hansom. Red brick with whitened headers and stone dressings, Swithland slate roofs (school has plain tile roof) with white brick crosses in the gable ends. Gothic Revival. Convent buildings round cloister porch, with chapel to west and priest's house and school to south. The school is linked to the convent by a range built 1855 to form 3 sides of a quadrangle. Two-storeys and attic. East facade of convent 7 window range. Four-centred doorway to left. Two dormers and 2 red brick chimney stacks in slope of roof, the left-hand one with 2 lancets. Fenestration mostly pairs of cusped lancets, some with transoms, with casement windows and glazing bars, beneath segmental brick relieving arches. Apsidal chapel with side chapels, lit by "Geometrical" traceried Windows (ritual north windows C20), has waggon roof carried on corbels and west gallery. Reredos by Theodore Phyffers 1873. School re-windowed in keeping with convent and 2-storey porch and verandah added 1889. Mortuary chapel by Charles Hansom's son, and infant's school in Italianate style in grounds. House of Rosminian sisters, founded by Mary Agnes Amherst. C20 additions to school not of special architectural interest.

Listing NGR: SK5361018989

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 53610 18989

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1115510 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 04:54:58.

End of official listing