CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1115540

Date first listed: 30-Mar-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1115540 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 06:02:15.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Walton

National Grid Reference: SE 44114 47819

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE44NW WALTON MAIN STREET LS23 (north side)

2/132 Church of St. Peter 30.3.66

GV II*

Church. C12 origin; mostly mid C14; restored 1890-91 by W. M. Fawcett. Coursed, squared magnesian limestone, graduated green slate roofs. West tower, 3-bay nave with south porch, narrower 2-bay chancel with north vestry. Tower: chamfered plinth and offsets; no buttresses. West side has small lancet window beneath square-headed, chamfered window; offset below belfry stage having south clock and square-headed, 2-light openings in double- chamfered surrounds. Corbel table and cornice below Perpendicular embattled parapet with 4 crocketed pinnacles. Nave: chamfered plinth; offset buttresses at each end and another with mass dial between square-headed windows of 2 ogee lights beneath hoodmould with old head-carved stops. Later porch to left has side buttresses flanking a segmental arch; south doorway within has quadrant-moulded arch with hoodmould; stone slate roof. Nave has C19 ashlar gable copings with east cross. On north side is a blocked, shouldered-lintelled doorway and to left is a buttress flanked by windows as south but without hoodmoulds. Chancel: blocked priests' door with shouldered lintel; small window on left with similar head; large 3-light window to right with reticulated tracery beneath pointed arch and old hoodmould with head- carved stops. Offset buttresses flank a double-chamfered, pointed, 5-light east window having renewed sandstone mullions, reticulated tracery and hoodmould. Gable, rebuilt 1890-1, has ashlar copings and cross. North vestry of 1890-1: shouldered lintels to windows and north door. Interior: Cl2 doorway into tower has chamfered impost to plain round arch. Tall chamfered arch over south door. Chancel: moulded impost to double- chamfered, pointed chancel arch; squint on north side. Tomb recess in north wall of chancel with cusped, crocketed ogee canopy and pinnacle. Small, moulded octagonal stone font, C14. Pulpit: C17 restored c1890; wooden with nulled frieze and Gothic Revival panels. Painted Royal Coat of Arms on west all with initials 'G.R.', 3 bells of 1500-1520 (not inspected), Monuments: within the chancel recess is a C14 effigy of a knight with hands clasped in prayer, his feet on a lion and his head on a helm. Above is a wall monument to Nicholas Fairfax (d.1703): winged cherub beneath inscribed panel flanked by drops and with enriched segmental pediment crowned by shield of arms. H. Speight,Lower Wharfedale, 1902, pp. 391-396.

Listing NGR: SE4411447819

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 342055

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Speight, H , Lower Wharfedale, (1902), 391-396

End of official listing