Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST EDWIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1115562.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 18:56:42.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Darlington (Unitary Authority)
High Coniscliffe
National Grid Reference:
NZ 22578 15234


NZ 2215 HIGH CONISCLIFFE THE GREEN (South side, off) 18/122 Church of St. Edwin 20/3/67 GV II* Parish church. Circa 1170 west end of nave and western part of south nave wall; early-mid C13 nave, chancel and tower; c14 tower parapet and spire; C15 vestry; c.1860 porch rebuilt in 1964. Much rebuilding and refenestration in 1844 and during later C19. Coursed rubble; some rebuilt sections in snecked sandstone; green slate roofs. West tower with spire; nave with north aisle and north porch; chancel with north vestry. 4-stage tower with loops and 2-light pointed bell openings. Embattled parapet, on corbel table, with corner pinnacles. Thin octagonal stone spire. Largely-rebuilt nave, north aisle and chancel; long and low proportions. Mid C19 openings except where stated. 5-bay nave. Aisle has 4 lancets and gabled porch at west. 4 restored square clerestory windows with trefoiled heads under hoodmoulds. 2-order round-arched door within porch (moved from south side c.1870) has beakhead and moulded capitals, shafts missing ; carved relief of Agnus Dei above. South wall: narrow original window at west; 4 lancets to east; east section of wall breaks forward, possibly indicating an earlier aisle. Chancel: original lancet on north wall; lancets and Priest's door on south; chamfered plinth, sill band and 3 stepped lancets on east end. Low-pitched roofs hidden by parapet. 2-storey vestry: 2-light mullioned window and loop, with old iron grille, on east; projecting embattled parapet. Plastered interior. Shouldered tower doorway; medieval ladder stair. Grave slab with interlace used as lintel in third stage of tower. North arcade of 5 pointed, double-chamfered arches on squat circular piers and keeled responds with moulded octagonal capitals and bases; hoodmould with broach stops. Pointed chancel arch, with 2 chamfered and moulded orders and nailhead hoodmould, on keeled responds with foliage capitals. Round-arched chamfered doorway to vestry with chamfered fireplace and aumbry. Fitting and monuments: C13 font; aedicular wall monument to Sir Francis Bowes and family 1684 on north chancel wall; some C17 choir stalls with poppyheads and similar reading desk; 1973 south window by L.C. Evetts. Several C16 and C17 memorial floor slabs, one with brass. (Rev. J.F. Hodgson, "Coniscliffe Church", Transactions of the Architectural and Archaeological Society of Durham and Northumberland, Volume I, 1868-70).

Listing NGR: NZ2257815234


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
'Transactions of the Architectural and Archaeological Society of Durham and North' in Transactions of the Architectural and Archaeological Society of Durham and North, , Vol. 1, (1868-1870)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Sep 2007
Reference: IOE01/16928/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Lorna Freeman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].