CHURCH OF ST OSWALD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1115612

Date first listed: 01-Jun-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST OSWALD, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST OSWALD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1115612 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 00:26:25.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST OSWALD, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Backford

National Grid Reference: SJ 39808 71693

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 37SE BACKFORD C.P. CHURCH LANE (NORTH SIDE)

3/2 Church of St Oswald 1.6.67 GV II*

Church. Chancel, C14th, tower C15th, nave rebuilt 1728-31, and remodelled 1877-9 by Ewan Christian. Sandstone, graded slate roof. West tower, 3 bay nave, chancel, north vestry. Perpendicular buttressed tower has chamfered plinth, rebuilt embattled parapet with crocketted finial. 3-light traceried bell openings. Some narrow slit openings. West front has restored 3-light window over doorway which has four-centred arched head. Both have hood moulds with animal and human figure stops. Stone bands have shields and figure heads. Figure gargoyles below parapet. Nave has three, 2-light traceried windows and south porch. Chancel: East window has intersecting tracery. N window has Y-tracery. South wall has C14th doorway and two, 3-light Perpendicular windows in deep recesses. Clasping buttresses. Stone cross at east end. Interior. Nave arcades have cylindrical piers supporting pointed arches. Tall pointed arch beneath tower. Wall paintings by E Frampton. E window possibly by Wailes. Six heraldic tablets painted on wood, probably by Randle Holmes, dating 1624-1683 to Margel and Birkened families. Monuments: Samuel Griffiths (1796) by E. Spencer. Tablet, urn and obelisk for Baskerville Glegg (1843) by Sanders. C17th altar (now in vestry) has twisted legs and acorn ends similar to two sanctuary chairs. 3 oak chests, two dated 1636 and 1702. Stone tympanum, formerly over porch, inscribed: This church was built AD 1728 Robt Denson Vicar, now leaning against S. wall of tower in churchyard.

Pevsner & Hubbard. Richards R., Old Cheshire Churches Morten 1973.

Listing NGR: SJ3980871693

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 55385

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Hubbard, E, The Buildings of England: Cheshire, (1971)
Richards, R, Old Cheshire Churches, (1973)

End of official listing