This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE RED LION INN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE RED LION INN

List entry Number: 1115632

Location

THE RED LION INN, CHURCH HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Finchingfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 02-May-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 115161

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 6832 7/18 2.5.53

FINCHINGFIELD CHURCH HILL (north side) The Red Lion Inn

GV II

House, now an inn. Early C16, altered in late C16 and early C19. Timber framed, mainly plastered, with painted brick facade to SE, slate roofs. Long- jetty house of 3 bays facing SE, with late C16 inserted stack one bay from left side. Late C16 rear extension of 2 bays from left end, with C19 central stack. Early C19 rear extension of 3 bays from right end, angled outwards to form a V- plan, with 2 internal end stacks. 2 C19 single-storey lean-to extensions in rear angle. 2 storeys, S elevation (to Church Hill), one splayed bay of C20 casements, 2 C19 tripartite sashes of 4-12-4 lights, and on the first floor 3 early C19 sashes of 16 lights. 6-panel door in panelled doorcase with shallow hood. Hipped roof of shallow pitch. E elevation (to courtyard/car park), 2 sashes of 20 lights on ground floor, 3 sashes of 12 lights on first floor, and central 6-panel door in simple pedimented doorcase, all early C19. Low-pitched roof. The interior of the street range has moulded transverse and axial beams, heavy joists of horizontal section jointed to them with soffit tenons with diminished haunches. The stack has 2 depressed arches, much altered at ground floor level, stripped of plaster but otherwise unaltered on the first floor. Jowled posts, cambered tiebeams, but roof completely rebuilt at a higher level. RCHM 14.

Listing NGR: TL6856132822

Selected Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex North West, (1916)

National Grid Reference: TL6856132822

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1115632 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 05:22:20.

End of official listing