44-48, CLOTH MARKET

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1115737

Date first listed: 30-Mar-1987

Statutory Address: 44-48, CLOTH MARKET

Map

Ordnance survey map of 44-48, CLOTH MARKET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1115737 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 00:25:33.

Location

Statutory Address: 44-48, CLOTH MARKET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Newcastle upon Tyne (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: NZ 24874 64128

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 2464 SE NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE CLOTH MARKET (east side)

20/197 Nos. 44-48 consecutive

G.V. II

Shop and restaurant, now public house and offices. 1869 by R. Fairbairn for Pumphrey and Carrick Watson. Grey brick with ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof with cast iron cresting. 3 storeys and attics; 5 bays. Ground floor original elaborate wood shop front with colonettes, brackets and mouldings. Windows on upper floors have chamfered jambs; shouldered lintels on first floor; segmental lintels on second except in slightly-projecting centre bay which has 4 arcaded round-headed windows. Large bracketed cornices above first floor windows; bracketed sills and label moulds to those on second floor. Prominent eaves cornice, bracketed over central bay. Roof has 5 round-headed dormers; Mansard roof except for centre bay which has tall steeply-pitched hipped roof. Cast iron crestings. Interior: staircase and first floor coffee rooms 1897 by Oliver and Leeson in a distinctive version ofthe Arts and Crafts style. Slatted seats with brass rails holding parcel racks above. Tapered pilasters frame doors. Fretwork Moorish-style pendants in coffee rooms partly damaged at time of survey, as was fretwork above door between rooms with inserted door of c. 1983. First floor redecoration of the Oak Room 1914.

Listing NGR: NZ2487464128

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 304505

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing